Sunday, May 4, 2014

In the Heart of the Winter



"This winter was exceptionally rough.."
they said.
But, can I let you in on a little secret?
I loved it. I loved the cold wind gushing
through the skyscrapers
at a rate that led our morning commute
to be filled with scarves around our cheeks
and heads buried behind a fully buttoned coat.




Nights would come in, quick, dark and full of icicles.
We'd whine at bars about the 6th blizzard of the year,
but I could never help looking around in awe
as I walked home that night
with bicycles still scurrying on
and snow continuing to fall down.



I loved my third winter in New York. 

There was the night when there was a swamp after every sidewalk
and strangers on the street would spout "this is bullshit"
as we tried to calculate the best place to jump
so the least amount of pant legs would get soaked.
I hurdled over 40 blocks of crosswalks
covered in sludge, and snow, and freezing water
that left me laughing
as I finally made it to my final spot:
that warm studio in the Upper West Side
that radiated an orange warmth on all of the people
hopping from street to street below.



There was the night I took refuge in the hotel
to warm up for just a bit,
to cool my teeth shattering 
and slow my heart.
As I stepped off the elevator,
I saw the glow of the public library through
the darkened panes of glass.
Gasp.
The library has never looked so regal,
filling every inch of the room with the perfect view
and I watched the world go on through the shadows cast
and reminded myself, I am so so lucky. Remembering days earlier
when i cried through the rain, and swore to move away
as quickly as I could. But there, with the light and the snow
I knew I had to stay put, for a few more winters.




There were the mornings in TriBeCa
when I'd climb the subway stairs
and feel the wind hurdling down to greet me
with such a sting it made my eyes water
and i welcomed the sunshine of the last step
with excitement
as the city sparkled a little extra
as the apartments started to showcase christmas trees
and police stations were adorned with shiny ornaments
and each intersection felt like an illustration of
"Christmas in New York."








The windy air is starting to settle over the city
and commutes home from work
now contain sunshine until 7PM
when the sun lazily slips
behind the Hudson
and joggers run a few extra miles
with just one layer of clothing,
and diners eat on sidewalks
as bicyclists ride by
within the warm orange glow.


Goodbye, darkened nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment